Saturday, August 1, 2015

Small finishes

Last weekend my mom came for a visit, which meant that I couldn't bury myself downstairs in my craft room. I needed something easy to see and work on while sitting in the kitchen, so I pulled out a couple more Mill Hill Owlet kits. On Saturday I stitched up the green one, and on Sunday the orange one:


Mom went home Monday morning, so I then went down and beaded the green owl that afternoon. 

The thread for my model finally arrived on Monday, so Tuesday was spent finishing the model up and getting it ready to send back to Karen. Then on Wednesday I beaded the orange owl, and I now have four of the six kits finished:


These are so colorful and sparkly; they make me happy just to look at them. My mom is coming for another visit very soon, so I might be able to finish the last two!

Karen will be sending another model soon, but in the meantime I've done a bit more on Mirabilia's Raven Queen. Since I'm changing up the colors a bit, I've been playing with some bead colors to go along with the changes:


Last night I stitched her snood and added her jewelry:


Hope everyone has a great stitchy weekend!

15 comments:

  1. Those owlet kits are so cute! I've been thinking about trying beading soon. Wonderful progress on the Raven Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the super cute finishes Melanie.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo she's looking so pretty! I like the dark green beads the 6th from the left. Congrats on the Owls they're adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such nice beads, which brand are they? And your stitching looks nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are seed beads from Lima Beads; I used some last night and they are very nice to work with.

      Delete
  5. Your ornaments are lovely! I hope I get the chance to stitch a Mill Hill kit some day - they look like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Owls are too cute.
    Great progress on Raven, loving the colors.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Owls are so beautiful. They are very very cute.
    You made a great work
    Raven queen is incredible I look forward to see other progress. Have a good start of week. Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those little owls. Raven queen is looking quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The raven queen is looking so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great little finishes and your Raven Queen is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melanie she is beautiful where did you get the fabric to stitch her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, the fabric is a solo from HLC Fabrics; it's not part of her regular line, just a one-off I nabbed on her Facebook page.

      Delete
  12. Melanie, You do Absolutely Stunning work!!! I just purchased my first Mirablia Kit 'The Raven Queen'. It says to use two red plum petite beads. How is that done? Do you align them vertically or diagonally? Do you use other seed companies than Mill Hill Beads? What is the name of the fabric you used for 'The Stargazer' project. Cordially, Avis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Avis, thank you for the kind words! I haven't worked on Raven Queen for quite a while, so I'm not sure about the two petite beads question; there should be one spot marked on the chart for each bead, which you can attach with either a half or full cross stitch. I usually use a half stitch so they sit on a slant (the regular MH seed beads fit together better this way, but the petites are small enough to work either way).

      I almost always use MH beads, but I had a $20 gift certificate to use at Lima Beads, so I was able to buy several different colors from them to see which I liked best with this design.

      My Stargazer was stitched on a color called Cursus by Sugar Maple Fabrics, which unfortunately closed down several years ago.

      If I can be of any more help, feel free to email me at rrowe @ new.rr.com (remove spaces). Happy stitching!

      Delete